Someone emailed me this month asking for suggestions of gospel choir songs that would be good to sing in choir competitions.
Many school choirs and other choirs sing arrangements of Negro spirituals in competitions, but here are also some regular songs in the gospel choir repertoire that could be used:
- Anthem of Praise by Richard Smallwood
- Hallelujah, Lord by Sounds of Blackness
- Let Everything That Hath Breath by the Florida A&M University Gospel Choir
- Total Praise by Richard Smallwood
- Matthew 28 by Donald Lawrence
- Jesus Is Alive by Michael Mindingall
- One of the choir pieces from the “Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration” project (such as “Hallelujah!”, “And He Shall Purify”, or “For Unto Us a Child Is Born”)
What other songs might be good for competitions? I'd love to hear any recommendations.